Here is a recipe for Caramel Shard Cookies.
The Starbucks Versimo Coffee machine is available to buy from websites such as Selfridges and the Starbucks website itself.
Makes 20 cookies
For the caramel:
• 100g caster sugar
• 3 tbsp water
For the cookie dough:
• 200g light brown muscovado sugar
• 150g salted butter, at room temperature
• 200g plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• Seeds from 1 vanilla pod, or 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
1 large or 2 small baking sheets
1. Place the sugar and water in a pan and stir to mix them, then place the pan
over a high heat and allow to boil without stirring it again. After about 5
minutes the sugar will have turned amber in colour and the bubbles will have
reduced in size. Pour on to a baking sheet and leave to solidify for at least 10
2. To make the cookie dough, beat the sugar and butter together until paler in
colour and lighter in texture. You could do this with an electric whisk or in a
freestanding electric mixer. Add the remaining ingredients and mix by hand
into a stiff dough. Leave in the bowl and place to one side.
3. Break the dried caramel into small shards and add to the cookie dough. Stir
or knead the shards into the dough until they are well incorporated. Chill the
dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas 3.
5. Divide the dough into 20 and roll into little balls. Place these, spread well
apart, on baking sheets. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until the cookies are
baked and have turned golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and
allow to cool before gobbling up.
Perfect coffee partner: Starbucks Verismo Guatemala Antigua Espresso Americano- the medium roast’s gentle tones harmonises perfectly with the crispy, sweet biscuits.
Photos by Abimarvel